Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Need a Composer?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Jonathan Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2003
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jonathan studied in Cambridge and London and subsequently holds a Masters degree (with commendation) in Film and Television Composition. As a multi-instrumentalist, he mainly plays piano, french horn and trumpet.

    With his recording studio based in Cheshire, he composes music for film, television, computer games, animations, web sites, corporate videos and generally anything for the media. He also orchestrates, arranges and conducts a variety of musical genres.

    Recent clients and credits include: Sony Playstation II, Oxford University Press, X-Box, City of Prague Philharmonic, Astra Zeneca, Richard Clayderman, Andy Cole's Children's Foundation, Game Cube and S.P.N.M.

    His research into the relationship between sound and emotions enables him to approach projects with sensitivity and awareness.

    Any budget considered.


    ---------------------
    Jonathan Brooks
    BA (Hons), MA
    ---------------------
    Composer
    Orchestrator
    Sound Engineer
    Arranger
    Conductor
    Pianist
    French Hornist
    Trumpeter
    ---------------------
    +44 (0)161 440 8718
    +44 (0)771 4071061

    [email protected]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You know, it's funny.
    The whole reason I originally got into filmmaking, is because of my lifelong goal of composing music for films.

    I was living in L.A., and I went to all the colleges that had film departments, including USC & UCLA, passing out flyers, offering to do an original score FOR FREE!
    I got exactly zero responses!
    I discovered that most film newbies either don't see the value of an original score, or they think it's OK (& legal) to just lift stuff of their favorite CD's for music, and also, they are so far behind on their school projects that they don't have time to do anything else but spend an evening with their CD collection so they can turn in their assignment.

    I hope you have a different experience than I did.
    Film music has got to be the most difficult thing to break into.
    Really tough...

    Matt Pacini

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Jonathan Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2003
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I hope you have a different experience than I did.
    Film music has got to be the most difficult thing to break into.
    Really tough...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for your message Matt. It is tough! I totally agree. Sometimes it can be so frustrating, but the rewards and satisfaction of a good project are far greater.

    So far I've done quite well. Not that I've earned a great deal, but I've met some wonderful people and collaborated on some great projects. I just love writing music; the films etc. inspire every note I write.

    Kind regards,

    Jonathan

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jonathan, tell us more about what you're doing, your setup, etc.
    Is it all synth?
    Do you score for orchestral instruments, and if so, who (and how) do you get people to perform, etc.
    What kind of budgets, etc.
    Who are your influences musically, etc. etc.,

    Matt Pacini

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Jonathan Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2003
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Matt,

    I have my own small(ish) recording studio. Based around a G4 Mac, Soundcraft 24 mixer, audio cards, synths/samplers etc. I mainly use Cubase, Pro Tools, Sibelius and Logic.

    I work with both synths and live musicians.... (I prefer live). It really depends on the budget. For smaller budgets I usually work with synths/samplers and then, if appropriate, I'll play and record some instruments myself.

    For larger budgets live musicians/orchestras are employed. Recent orchestrations for a game soundtrack were recorded with the Prague Philharmonic. I'm still waiting for a CD and can't wait to hear it.

    Who are your influences musically, etc. etc.,?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, I could go on and on. There is so much past and present talent out there.....I can't possibly credit all my influences........here are a few though!

    Mahler
    Strauss
    James Newton Howard
    Wagner
    Jerry Goldsmith
    Bon Jovi
    Patrick Doyle
    Bill Conti
    Def Leppard
    Europe
    Queen
    Shostakovich
    Ravel
    Craig Armstrong

    - Have you had enough yet? - Nooo!.... lol

    Bruckner
    Wishbone Ash
    Poulenc
    Elliot Goldenthal
    Frank Bridge

    :-)

    Thanks for your interest. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    Regards,

    Jon

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Jonathan Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2003
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Matt,

    Do you still write music?
    What do you play?

    Do you get the same creative reward and satisfaction from filmmaking?

    You see, I love writing music for visuals, but I think I'd also love to be a part of any kind of pre or post production to do with sound or visuals.

    How long have you been in the industry?

    Cheers,

    Jon

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yep, still writing/playing, but the sad part is, since I've gotten into filmmaking, it's just an all-encompassing time burner, so I'm really rusty.
    Also, it's hard keeping up, when you play multiple instruments.
    It basically ends up being either or - I'm either working on the film project, or finished, then writing music for it, but you know how it is, you always keep the analytical ear going, working things out in your head.
    Getting the time to write it down is tough though!

    I've been a musician since I was 3 (I'm 45), and into filmmaking for about 11 years.
    I went from playing rock guitar in bands since I was 13, to composing and playing classical & soundtrack stuff.
    Had several near-fame situations, almost getting recording contracts, etc., but I havent been in a band for many moons, and since getting into filmmaking, predictably, I've gravitated from rock to symphonic music.

    I play (in close order of skill):
    Guitar, bass, keyboards, vocals, viola, cello, violin, flute, indian flute, pan pipes, percussion.
    I went from a big, complicated synth rig-home-studio setup, to downsizing quite a bit. Got too complicated having all those synths patched together, but man, do I ever miss my Oberheim Expander, for one!!!

    My setup is now based around Cakewalk pro Audio 9, Premier, AfterFx, Soundforge, and an Alesis QS-8 synth, which is really nice, plus a Lexicom reverb, and several other goodies in the rack, etc. plus a couple guitars (Yamaha nylon & a Steinberger GL4T electric), an Ibanez bass, and all the other instruments I mentioned.

    As for influences, I kind of go on "obsessive kicks".
    Early on, of course it was Bach (who doesn't go on a Bach craze??), but in the last few years, it's been Betthoven, Mozart, Bruckner, and Hovanes. (James Horner would be flippin' burgers if it weren't for Alan Hovanes!!!!)

    My viola teacher keeps telling me I'm good enough to try out for the local orchestra, but I think she's smoking crack, because I suck on viola. (I'm my own worse critic!)
    So I need to finish my current film project so I can start practicing more.
    The cats start running when they see me pick up my viola!

    Matt Pacini

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Corey D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    50
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's cool. So, are you composing music for your own films?

    I'm a songwriter. I play the guitar, bass, piano, and mandolin. I hope to one day get one of my songs published.

    Corey

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •